HMF Engineering Forums  

Go Back   HMF Engineering Forums > Sport Quads > TRX450R
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2011, 04:46 PM

Question 05 trx450r Jetting with HMF elliptical slip-on?

What's up, I have a couple of questions about jetting for my 2005 450r.

I'm ordering an HMF ellipitical slip-on, and a UNI filter air filter.

The bike is completely stock, and I plan on keeping my air lid on. I live in Upstate South Carolina, and ride mainly at home, and at Carolina Adventure World.

I am unsure which size jet to get for keeping the stock air lid on. I was told I can just change out the main jet and be set. Is this correct??

Any help at all is appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

Last edited by black_05trx450r : 06-21-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:03 AM
Tech Nerd Super Tuner

That is correct. Put a 125 main in it. Just use a 17 MM wrench to remove the plug on the bottom of the bowl, and a 6MM socket to remove the main. Its kinda tough to line the new main back up with the needle jet that it threads into but its doable. Set your fuel screw to the highest smooth RPM at idle with the engine warm. Turn it all the way in, then slowly back it out. Should end up between 1.5 and 3 turns out.

If you feel like making WAY more power, yank the air box lid and stick a 180 main in it.
Team HMFRacing.com
Keep it between the trees!
Old 06-21-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike/HMF View Post
That is correct. Put a 125 main in it. Just use a 17 MM wrench to remove the plug on the bottom of the bowl, and a 6MM socket to remove the main. Its kinda tough to line the new main back up with the needle jet that it threads into but its doable. Set your fuel screw to the highest smooth RPM at idle with the engine warm. Turn it all the way in, then slowly back it out. Should end up between 1.5 and 3 turns out.

If you feel like making WAY more power, yank the air box lid and stick a 180 main in it.
Alright, I'll put the 125 in with the lid on.

The fuel screw, is this the air/fuel mixture one below the carb, with a black knob?

So let me get this correct, once I put the new 125 main in, let the bike warm up, then turn the air/fuel mixture screw all the way in (clockwise) and then slowly turn it back out until its idling correctly at operating temp? I'll be listening for smoothness of idle correct?

I don't know how I feel about making way more power, lol. I just got it and am still getting used to the new found power of the R. I came from a 300ex, to a 500 Foreman, then to the 450r. I'm still getting used to how fast this thing is, lol.

Thanks for your help man.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:03 AM
Tech Nerd Super Tuner

No. The black knob is your idle adjustment. Here is a quick read that will help you understand the fuel screw adjustment procedure. http://hmfracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118

OK just remember the 180 Main for the future when you get bored with the power. That machine has ALOT more in it!
Team HMFRacing.com
Keep it between the trees!
Old 06-22-2011, 03:34 PM

Thanks a lot man.

Got the slip-on and main jet installed this morning, went to the above link, and she runs like a top.

It's amazing that just those two mods, and the UNI filter make the bike feel better in the woods (tight/slower trails.) It doesn't feel like its loading up with fuel and wanting to bog down anymore whenever I have to go slow.

It actually starts better as well. Cranked right up on the 1st kick dead cold after letting sit from 8-am to 12pm. Hot starts are great as well.

And you were right, the main jet was a little bit of a pain to put in with the carb still on the bike, lol. Had to use my mirror and think backwards.

Again, thanks for the help man. HMF FTW!

Scott